Kubica: Back in F1? In 2014

Date published: September 9 2012

Robert Kubica hopes to back in F1 in “2014” but concedes he doesn’t know if his journey will take him there…

Robert Kubica hopes to back in F1 in “2014” but concedes he doesn’t know if his journey will take him there.

The Pole has been out of action since suffering life-threatening injuries when his Skoda car was impaled on a crash barrier during a rally in February last year.

Kubica underwent several operations to repair the damage, which included a partially severed right arm and multiple fractures to his right elbow, shoulder and leg.

Despite many predicting that his motor racing career was over, the 27-year-old returned to competition this weekend, driving a Subaru Impreza in the Ronde Gomitolo di Lana Rally in Italy.

Speaking to SkySport24’s Antonio Boselli ahead of the event, Kubica revealed that he’s hoping this weekend’s outing is just another step towards an F1 return.

He told Boselli: “Back in Formula 1? In 2014 but I still don’t know if my journey will take me there.”

As for his rally this weekend, he said: “I wanted to experience the rush of the race, so now I will do this then the rally in San Martino then we will see.”