Robert Kubica has confirmed he is finally hoping to leave hospital within the next 10 days…
Robert Kubica has confirmed he is finally hoping to leave hospital within the next 10 days.
Kubica has spent the last two-and-a-half months at the Pietra Ligure hospital in Italy following an horrific accident whilst competing in the Ronde di Andora rally on February 6.
The Pole was forced to undergo four separate surgical procedures after sustaining multiple fractures to an arm and leg, as well as a severed right hand.
After being taken off the critical list, Renault driver Kubica has since been undergoing extensive rehabilitation, and is now at last approaching a position where he can continue away from hospital.
A further programme will follow under the supervision of Dr Riccardo Ceccarelli, who runs the Italian sports clinic ‘Formula Medicine’ and is a consultant with Renault.
“I am starting to feel a lot better now,” said Kubica.
“My recovery is moving in the right direction. My strength and weight are increasing day on day and as a result I will leave the hospital very soon.
“I don’t have a precise date as yet, but I hope to be able to leave within the next 10 days.”
Of primary concern has long been the condition of Kubica’s right hand, the mobility of which he has admitted “is limited.”
However, he added: “This is pretty normal in this kind of situation because the connected arm muscles are still very weak due to the long period of immobility.
“Things are definitely improving day by day.
“As soon as I leave hospital, I’ll head to my home in Monaco for a short period of rest.
“Then I’ll move to Dr Ceccarelli’s facilities where I will start a deep rehabilitation program and a preliminary soft training programme.
“The two programmes will gradually cross over based on the speed of my recovery.”
Despite his situation, Kubica has been following the season so far, with Renault making a strong start with podium finishes for Vitaly Petrov and replacement Nick Heidfeld in Australia and Malaysia respectively.
Asked if he had stayed in touch with the team, Kubica said: “Yes, of course.
“Especially since the season started, I’ve been liaising with my engineers on what’s been going on over race weekends.
“They are sending me the race reports so I can remain up to date and fully informed, as if I were there at the tracks.
“(Team principal) Eric Boullier is also in constant contact, keeping up to date with my general condition.
“I’ve also watched the races, and there is no doubt it’s been a strong start to the season.
“The potential of the car, which I already noticed in the February Valencia test, seems to be confirmed.
“As usual, it’s now important the development continues to produce consistent updates for maintaining this level of performance.
“The guys did a great job with this car and I’m sure they’ll continue to improve.
“From my side, I’ll try to use my difficult experience to come back as strong as I possibly can.”
Full Q&A with Robert Kubica