Le Mans chance opening up for Alonso

Date published: September 17 2017

Fernando Alonso's Triple Crown bid could be reignited as McLaren and Toyota are both open to the idea of him racing in the iconic 24 Hours of Le Mans race.

Alonso missed the Monaco Grand Prix this season to take part in the Indianapolis 500 and a similar arrangement could be made as part of a new contract if the Spaniard opts to stay with McLaren now they have ditched Honda.

"Le Mans 2018 is too early for McLaren," said McLaren technical director Zak Brown. "We have our hands full with getting our F1 team back on track.

"But we have spoken about it [Le Mans], and if it is something he would like to do, in the right circumstances, we would be open to that."

Interestingly, Toyota team director Rob Leupen is also open to the idea of Alonso joining their driver line-up should they decide to stay in the World Endurance Championship once they receive clarification about the state of the LMP1 category following Porsche's withdrawal.

Leupen also cited technical director Pascal Vasselon's connection with Alonso having previously worked with him.

"We are always interested in talking to top drivers and Pascal has a good relationship with Fernando going back to his days with Michelin in F1," Leupen told Autosport.

"But we cannot say anything more than that, because too much is open right now."

Alonso has openly expressed his desire to win the Triple Crown and be remembered as one of the greatest drivers of all-time.