Marussia not giving up on F1

Date published: February 7 2015

Marussia are refusing to give up their fight to return to the F1 grid this season despite their plans to run a 2014 car taking a hit.

Earlier this month, Marussia, who have lodged an entry for the 2015 Championship under Manor Grand Prix, announced plans to come out of administration.

With a group led by former Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King believed to be on the verge of purchasing the team, Marussia asked the F1 Strategy Group for permission to race a 2014 car this season.

The Strategy Group said no with Force India's deputy team principal Bob Fernley blaming this on a proposal that had "compliance issues" and "lacked substance".

Marussia have hit back, revealing in a statement that they were 'informed on 5 January 2015 that the Strategy Group felt that two teams – Marussia and Caterham – should be permitted to race a 2014 car in the 2015 championship.'

The statement continued: 'The letter stated that the Strategy Group agreed that the car should comply with all of the 2015 technical regulations, with the exception of four articles, those articles being Articles 3.7.9, 15.4.3, 15.4.4 and 16.2. The team can confirm that the modifications to its 2014 car would meet this stipulation.'

Former team boss Graeme Lowdon is adamant Marussia will continue to fight for a place on the 2015 grid.

"It has been a very good step to finally get the CVA process underway this week," he said. "This is the first external sign that we have been able to make of all the hard work that has taken place privately over the past four months to get us to our current position.

"I was surprised to hear some of the comments made today [Friday], particularly regarding an application we were said to have made to Thursday’s meeting, which I can confirm was not the case.

"We did make a request on 17 December last year and we have been working since to satisfy the requirements subsequently communicated to us, specifically complying with all the Regulations, aside from the exempted articles.

"The comments also mentioned that issues of compliance were raised, that it was felt that our application lacked substance and contained no supporting documentation to reinforce the case for offering special dispensation. Again, we did not make any application to yesterday’s Strategy Group meeting and nor were we asked to.

"Instead, we are proceeding with our clear process regarding compliance and building our operation. We are doing everything possible to adhere to the process set out for us to return to the 2015 grid. This is a fantastic good news story for the whole sport and we just want to go racing."