McLaren: Too early for driver talks

Date published: June 3 2018

Zak Brown says McLaren won’t begin talks with Fernando Alonso about his future before the summer break.

As it has been for the past few years, Alonso’s future is one of the main topics in the silly season.

While the Spaniard has been linked to a return to Renault, he’s also been linked to Haas, Ferrari and just about everyone up and down the pit lane.

And, of course, there are those IndyCar rumours also doing the rounds.

McLaren, though, are keen to hold onto him, whether that be in F1 or outside it.

“I think our situation is the same as everyone’s,” said McLaren chief executive officer Zak Brown when asked about Alonso’s future. “It’s a little early in the season.

“Of course, we’re all talking to our drivers, probably talking to each other’s drivers to a certain extent up and down the pit lane.

“I think that we’re now back in Europe, it’s usually around the summer time that things start really taking shape as far as our conversations with Fernando.

“Just like last year, we decided to wait until about the summer time and I think Fernando will let us know what he wants to do here pretty soon.”