Monza ‘confident’ of F1 future

Date published: March 27 2016

Despite no word of a new deal, Monza officials are confident that the Italian GP will continue at the historic circuit beyond 2016.

Although Monza's future has been dogged by rumours with recent reports claiming that Imola is ready to step in should they fail to strike a new deal, Bernie Ecclestone has some encouraging words to say earlier this week.

"I think it [Monza] will continue to hold a grand prix," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. "It's a discussion amongst men and we are still talking.

"In the end we will reach a conclusion, I am certain."

So too are Monza officials.

A spokesperson told GPUpdate.net that they are "fully committed" to ensuring that the grand prix continues at the historic venue for years to come.

"Autodromo Nazionale Monza has not received any official communication concerning the failure of negotiations to renew the agreement with FOM in order to keep at Monza the Italian Grand Prix even after 2016," the spokesperson said.

"We cannot but reiterate our confidence in the President of Automobile Club Italia, Angelo Sticchi Damiani, who is fully committed to ensuring that Monza may continue to be the location of the Italian Grand Prix in our country.

"SIAS Management [Monza's management group] will continue to act responsibly by making available a part of the economic funds required to ensure the renewal of the agreement and to carry on the economic recovery plan they have been assigned to."