Felipe Nasr says he decided to join Sauber as they had the “best package on offer”.
The Hinwil-based squad raised a few eyebrows in Brazil on Thursday when they confirmed that Nasr, who comes with major financial backing from Banco do Brasil, would partner Marcus Ericsson next year.
The Brazilian has been part of the Williams set up this year and has had a couple of outings in FP1, including at his home race at Interlagos on Friday.
Nasr, though, says he held talks with “all the other teams that had a seat available”, but ultimately decided to join Sauber.
“I knew at the beginning of the week everything was going to happen. It was a surprise for many people but I’m glad it happened and I feel 100% [ready] to take the challenge,” he told reporters.
“There was a lot of waiting in other teams. It’s not only about having a good car, it’s the whole package, and Sauber seemed to offer the best one.”
Sauber have had a difficult 2014 campaign and they are 10th in the standings as they have failed to pick up any points so far, but Nasr is confident they will turn things around.
“They have had a difficult year but I believe there will be some improvements for the team next year,” he said.
“I think Formula 1 is worried not only with Sauber but all the teams that have been struggling financially and I just feel I’m in the right place to start my career in Formula 1 and I can’t wait for everything to start.”