Nurburgring hopeful over 2013 deal

Date published: January 18 2012

Nurburgring chiefs have confirmed that they are in negotiations with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone about a deal for the 2013 season…

Nurburgring chiefs have confirmed that they are in negotiations with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone about a deal for the 2013 season.

The German Grand Prix is currently rotated between the Nurburgring and Hockenheim but while the latter has a contract until 2016, Nurburgring’s deal expired last year.

Organisers, though, are determined to keep the race on the Formula One calendar and talks with Ecclestone have already started.

“Negotiations with Bernie Ecclestone have already started and are ongoing for the 2013 race,” said Nurburgring Automotive GmbH (NAG) spokesman Karl-Heinz Steinkuehler told Reuters.

“At the moment there is package that the operators look at positively. But it is also the state of Rhineland-Palatinate that needs to sign off as a partner for any deal.”

The circuit has been forced to axe around 100 jobs, but NAG says the cuts were necessary as they need to reduce costs.

“The operators have no problem and the season starting in April this year is fully guaranteed,” said Steinkuehler. “The cutbacks are necessary to meet the leasing costs.”