Ocon expects equal status with Perez

Date published: November 19 2016

Esteban Ocon reckons there will be no team leader at Force India when he teams up with more experienced Sergio Perez in 2017.

Earlier this month Force India confirmed Ocon’s signing, announcing that the 20-year-old Manor driver will replace Renault-bound Nico Hulkenberg next season.

Ocon, who joined Manor mid-season, will contest his first grand prix for Force India with just nine starts to his name while Perez will have 114 on the board.

But despite their vast difference in experience, the Frenchman says there won’t be a number one at Force India.

“I’ve spoken with him [Perez] quite a lot, and he is very cool guy,” Ocon told Autosport.

“So I look forward to learning from him, and then challenging him the best I can.

“I don’t think there is a team leader in the team, to be honest.”

Asked if they will be equals from the start, he replied: “Yes, for sure.”