Palmer found out online about Renault axe

Date published: September 15 2017

Jolyon Palmer has revealed that he found out he was getting the chop at Renault after reading an article online.

The Brit will be shown the exit door at Renault at the end of the season and replaced by Carlos Sainz, who will be joining on an initial one-year loan.

But rather than be told the news first-hand by the Renault chiefs, Palmer knew his fate was sealed after seeing a story online.

"I knew when I read it on Autosport, and then I knew it was true as well, I spoke to some people. That was it," Palmer said.

"Of course I knew with the job I’d done this year, the team is looking for other people, because it’s been a tough year. But you never know until it’s over.

"I could have thought the same thing last year at times as well. So you have to dig in and do the best you can, and I’m still going to do the same.

"I’m going to give it my all and seven races like I said to do the best I can and even though I’m not staying here and I’ve got no chance to stay here, nothing changes from a performance point of view.

"It was a bit of a shame. I don’t even know who leaked it to the media, but the media have their ways, I know.

"It doesn’t change the outcome, to be honest."