Palmer: Not enough credit from Renault

Date published: October 21 2016

Jolyon Palmer feels Renault have not given either driver the “credit we deserved” for battling on with a difficult car.

Last week Renault confirmed that Nico Hulkenberg would join the team in 2017, effectively announcing that either Palmer or Kevin Magnussen were on their way out.

Palmer has been left frustrated by the decision, saying Renault have been unfair to the current drivers.

“Neither of us have got the credit we deserved in a difficult car, and that has been proved by the fact that at least one of us will be replaced,” he said.

“I think they appreciated the drive in Suzuka, but do they [Renault] appreciate everything we have done? I am not sure.

“The next couple of weeks something will be decided. I feel like I am in a much clearer position. In my opinion there are three drivers going for one seat.”

The former GP2 Champion added that he is looking elsewhere to ensure that he remains on the grid next season should he lose his Renault seat.

“Things have been getting better and better this year, but the rest is out of my hands,” said Palmer, who has scored one point this season through his P10 in Malaysia.

“I want to stay with Renault, but I need to look elsewhere because clearly somebody is going to be disappointed. I have to prove why I should be here, but there are other options.

“Obviously the Force India seat has been closed until last week and that is a good option, but the main focus is on doing a good job here.

“I have been improving all the time. Malaysia was a good race and Suzuka was even better. If I can keep that up I have got a lot to show in Formula One.”