Perez ‘free’ to race Ocon in Brazil

Date published: November 10 2017 - Editor

Sergio Perez believes he is “now free” to race his Force India team-mate, however, Bob Fernley says it will be looked at on a race by race basis.

Earlier this season Force India banned Perez and Esteban Ocon from racing one another as the team-mate’s battle led to contact and lost points.

But with fourth place in the championship secured last time out in Mexico, Perez says they are now permitted to race.

“Everything is now free, and we want to get the best possible results for the team,” he said.

“And yeah, they’ll send us the bill if we touch the cars – these cars are pretty expensive.

“We had a conversation in Monza and that’s it. We have moved on.

“The atmosphere in the team is great at the moment and hopefully that will continue until the end of the year and going to next year as well.”

However, that may not be entirely the case.

Deputy team principal Bob Fernley said the team will make a decision when or if the moment arises.

“If we feel that them racing could hurt our positions or be bad for strategy then we will not let them fight,” he told Autosport.

“However, under the right circumstance, we are now ready to consider it.”