Perez: I would not leave my car to anyone

Date published: April 6 2017

As Pascal Wehrlein sits out the second race in succession, Sergio Perez says he would rather suffer inside the car than hand it over to another driver.

Having sat out the Australian Grand Prix, citing a lack of fitness following the Race of Champions crash in January that left him with a back injury, Wehrlein will now miss the Chinese GP.

The German announced earlier this week that he would not climb into his Sauber, instead handing it over to rookie driver Antonio Giovinazzi.

And that, Perez says, is something he would never do.

“I respect Pascal’s decision,” the Force India driver told Auto Motor und Sport. “But I would not leave my car to anyone.

“Even if you’re suffering in the car, you try to get the best out of it.”

Perez knows what he is speaking about having been concussed in his massive crash at the 2011 Monaco GP, which resulted in him missing the Canadian GP after falling ill in free practice.

He said: “After my accident I had to suffer until the summer break, which was four or five races.”

Wehrlein’s decision to sit out the Chinese GP has raised questions as to what exactly is wrong with the German driver.

“I hope it really is just a fitness problem for Pascal and nothing worse,” Perez added.

“Hopefully, he will soon be fit again.”