Perez insists his future is undecided

Date published: July 28 2016

Sergio Perez insists his future has yet to be decided, despite Force India confirming him as one of their drivers for the 2017 season.

Last month team boss Vijay Mallya announced that both Perez and Nico Hulkenberg would remain with the team next season.

“I can confirm that both the drivers are signed up for 2017,” he told Reuters. “I am very happy with both Checo and Nico.”

But despite the announcement, Perez insists his future is not yet set in stone.

“It’s up to me and the group of sponsors what to do,” he told reporters in Germany.

“It is not only down to me, I’m a very lucky driver, to have so much support.

“If we’re moving around teams, we’ll take the decision together with the group of sponsors that I have.

“A decision has not been taken.”

Perez is hoping for a resolution sooner rather than later with reports linking him to a possible move to Renault should he opt not to remain with Force India.

“I hope I can come back after the summer break knowing what the future holds for me – that would be ideal,” he said. “But you never know.

“My deals are not so simple, I have a lot of sponsors that have to do deals so it takes longer than if I was another driver going into another team or doing just a contract with Force India.”