World Champion Lewis Hamilton qualified in pole position ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix as he looks to close the 24-point gap between he and his teammate Nico Rosberg on the Drivers’ Championship table.
Rosberg qualified in P2 as the German had to bail out on his final attempt to put in a flying lap which resulted in him failing to match the World Champion’s 1:12.812s lap time.
Qualifying in third, Scuderia speedster Sebastian Vettel was disappointed not to give the Silver Arrows duo a real challenge after he dominated FP3. He blamed the hairpin for halting his chances of claiming pole.
Red Bull duo Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen will feel that they missed an opportunity after showing genuine pace throughout the weekend, they will both start on the grid tomorrow in P4 and P5 respectively.
Fernando Alonso impressed once again in his Honda-powered McLaren as he made it into Q3 while his teammate Jenson Button failed to follow him and qualified in P12.
In an unfortunate incident, promising Toro Rosso youngster Carlos Sainz was quick the entire weekend until he unceremoniously crashed into the Wall of Champions, kicking himself out of Q2.
After Kevin Magnussen’s horrible crash during FP3, Renault failed to get his car ready in time as the Dane was forced to sit out the qualifiers while his yellow livery counter-part Jolyon Palmer managed to qualify in P17.
Haas driver Romain Grosjean was hovering dangerously in the drop zone during Q1 but luckily made it into Q2 within the closing stages of the first round. Despite being joined by his teammate Esteban Gutierrez, they both got knocked out in the second round.
1. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:14.121 1:13.076 1:12.812 21 laps
2. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:13.714 1:13.094 1:12.874 19 laps
3. Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:13.925 1:13.857 1:12.990 24 laps
4. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 1:14.030 1:13.540 1:13.166 20 laps
5. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:14.601 1:13.793 1:13.414 24 laps
6. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:14.477 1:13.849 1:13.579 23 laps
7. Valtteri Bottas Williams 1:14.389 1:13.791 1:13.670 20 laps
8. Felipe Massa Williams 1:14.815 1:13.864 1:13.769 21 laps
9. Nico Hulkenberg Force India 1:14.663 1:14.166 1:13.952 23 laps
10. Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:15.026 1:14.260 1:14.338 24 laps
11. Sergio Perez Force India 1:14.814 1:14.317 18 laps
12. Jenson Button McLaren 1:14.755 1:14.437 16 laps
13. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso 1:14.829 1:14.457 16 laps
14. Esteban Gutierrez Haas F1 Team 1:15.148 1:14.571 25 laps
15. Romain Grosjean Haas F1 Team 1:15.444 1:14.803 24 laps
16. Carlos Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso 1:14.7 141:21.956 11 laps
17. Jolyon Palmer Renault F1 Team 1:15.459 11 laps
18. Pascal Wehrlein Manor Racing 1:15.599 9 laps
19. Marcus Ericsson Sauber 1:15.635 11 laps
20. Felipe Nasr Sauber 1:16.663 9 laps
21. Rio Haryanto Manor Racing 1:17.052
22. Kevin Magnussen Renault No Time