Raikkonen ‘will keep trying’

Date published: July 30 2015

Kimi Raikkonen is determined to bounce back from his Hungarian disappointment as he looks to secure his Ferrari seat for next season.

With rumours about his pending dismissal gaining momentum, Raikkonen was in need of a great race last Sunday.

The Finn did his part as he put his SF15-T up into second place, chasing his team-mate Sebastian Vettel in a Ferrari 1-2.

His efforts, though, came to naught when he lost power due to an MGU-K problem.

Raikkonen soldiered on, dropping down the order, but eventually retired after the team were unable to fix it.

With his Ferrari seat on the line – and Valtteri Bottas reportedly waiting in the wings – Raikkonen acknowledges that a bad result just compounds the issue.

He said: "When it goes wrong with us, with the car or with me, it is just the end result is not good.

"It's part of the game, an unfortunate thing and not a nice thing to have but what can you do?

"We will keep trying and I'm sure it will turn out to be good at some point this year and who knows what happens next year.

"It's not in my hands, it's in the teams, so let's see."

The 35-year-old, the last driver to win a World title for Ferrari, reiterated his belief that he has the pace needed to remain in F1.

"I've had some disappointments last year and this year and I'm sure this year we have had good speed all the time and we just kept having these issues here and there and a mistake here and there," he told ESPN.

"It has shown the wrong results because of those, but if I didn't have the speed I would not believe in myself. I would stop if I didn't feel I had the speed or the passion."