Renault ‘can postpone’ second driver decision

Date published: October 24 2016

With Nico Hulkenberg on the books for next season, Renault team boss Fred Vasseur has made it clear that he is in absolutely no rush to confirm the German’s team-mate.

Last week Renault announced that Hulkenberg would be joining the team in 2017, taking on the lead driver role.

The name of his team-mate, though, remains uncertain.

Kevin Magnussen and Jolyon Palmer are both still hoping that they will retain their race-seats while Esteban Ocon is also in the running.

All three may have to wait to learn whether they have landed the job as Vasseur says Renault “can postpone” the decision.

“We are in talks with many drivers,” he told the official F1 website.

“For sure, that we have secured the situation with Nico buys us time.

“Now we can postpone the decision for the second cockpit.

“Yes, we do have some young drivers and rookies in the loop, so it is important to see how they are improving.”

Speaking specifically about Magnussen claiming that he is “millimetres” from penning a new deal, Vasseur said: “His situation has not changed… Millimetres. But if you have the pen millimetres off the paper, what then?”