Renault did ‘too much’ with 2017 engine

Date published: August 15 2017

Renault managing director Cyril Abiteboul has admitted that the French team’s winter ambitions with their engine programme led to this year’s reliability issues.

Although Renault’s 2017 engine is an improvement on last year’s power unit, it has been known to fail.

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen has already experienced a few of those while Renault’s own driver Jolyon Palmer has also had issues.

“I cannot look professional if I tell you that these were expected problems, because we don’t design a new engine expecting that it is not going to work,” Abiteboul told Motorsport.com.

“The reality, and that is still a frustrating thing, is that we are still not great at designing first time.

“Having said that, we have done an awful lot on the engine side – the ICE architecture is completely different, the ERS is completely different.

“We can challenge the decision to do that much in one winter, and frankly, I think we have done a bit too much.”

However, it is not just the engine that has caused Renault a few problems.

“On the chassis side, we have also had a couple of reliability issues.

“The last one being Jo’s installation lap in Silverstone, which was absolutely unrelated to the engine. It was a power assist system, and that is a big frustration.

“Again I am putting that down to the fact that it is a team that is young. We have had a lot of turnover in the mechanics, a lot of turnover at the factory.

“People are getting experience and, for me, lack of quality is lack of experience.”