Renault issue Kubica October deadline

Date published: September 17 2011

Robert Kubica has until the end of October at the very latest to show Renault whether or not he has the ability to return to F1 next season…

Robert Kubica has until the end of October at the very latest to show Renault whether or not he has the ability to return to F1 next season.

Kubica has been out of action since early February when he suffered career-threatening injuries in a rally accident.

However, after months of rehabilitation and promising reports regarding his recovery, Kubica is expected to start driving next month.

“In October we consider that Robert can put a helmet on his head just to give a message of what he will be capable to do,” his manager Daniele Morelli recently said.

“We are not talking of course of Formula 1 right away, but it is important that Robert can start to drive.”

The Pole, though, won’t have much time to get up to speed as Lotus Renault GP team boss Eric Boullier says he needs to know by the end of October at the latest whether Kubica is capable of returning to F1 next season.

The team boss explained that he has set the deadline because he needs time to finalise his 2012 drivers and make sure that Renault has the best line-up they can achieve.

“I will be flexible, because I really like Robert and it will be good to have him return, but in the middle or end of October I need clear confirmation,” Boullier told Globo Esporte.

“My problem is that I cannot miss the opportunity to have Robert back, but, at the same time I need to look after the interests of my team.

“I need to have the best driver line-up, or the best I can get.”

Boullier, though, concedes that Kubica will need time to get up to scratch.

He added: “I do not expect Kubica be as fast as last year because I know that when you are off the track for a year it is hard to come back.

“Also when you have a serious accident like the one he suffered, it is not easy. But I need to know if he can do it.”