Renault yet to decide F1 future

Date published: June 1 2015

Renault insist there is "no doubt" they will honour their current contract and "at some point" will decide whether they continue in F1.

In the midst of yet another trying season under the 1.6-litre V6 rules, Renault have again struggled for both pace and reliability.

Already, after just six races, some Renault runners are onto their fourth engine and will incur penalties when a fifth is required.

Facing a barrage of criticism from their F1 clients and fans, questions have been raised about Renault's continuation in the sport. And if they do remain, whether that will be as an engine supplier or a full works team.

Last week Renault's F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul sat down with his bosses as well as F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone to discuss the future.

"I think the meeting was of use," Abiteboul told Autosport.

"It is no secret we have a binding contract until the end of 2016 so firstly it was to reassure everyone that we will honour that contract. There is no doubt.

"At some point, we have to make up our mind if we go further than that. So that's the first step, these discussions. We'll see.

"Monaco is the usual catch up between Renault senior management and Formula 1 stakeholders, in particular Bernie.

"It was a good meeting to catch up and to try and clarify Renault's position when a lot of things are said on behalf of Renault by non-Renault representatives.

"We wanted to first have that discussion with Bernie and discuss possible options and that's absolutely it for now."

Abiteboul also hinted that returning to a full works team could be on the cards as Renault look to get "more value" out of Formula 1.

"We're looking at the return on our investment, at the value we get," said Abiteboul.

"We want more value for what we are doing in the sport.

"We want to see if there is another option for us to get more return for what we're doing inside of F1."