Ricciardo: Last year was no fluke

Date published: August 19 2015 - Editor

Daniel Ricciardo has been unable to replicate his 2014 success this year, but the Australian believes he has done more than enough to convince people he is the real deal.

Having replaced his compatriot Mark Webber at Red Bull at the start of last year, Ricciardo outperformed his more illustrious team-mate Sebastian Vettel as he claimed three race victories and finished third in the Drivers' Championship.

This year has been a different story as Red Bull and Renault have once again struggled to make up ground on pace-setters Mercedes and he had to wait until the 10th race of the campaign to finally appear on the podium.

The 26-year-old, though, believes his performances last year should "carry him through for a few years".

"I know last year wasn't a fluke," he told Autosport. "If I'd just won one race and only beat Seb a handful of times I'd say 'OK maybe I got lucky here and there'.

"But the consistency of my performance last year has definitely given me all the confidence in myself that I need.

"In a way, the more recent your success is, the more people will remember it.

"But what I did last year is still carrying me through this year, so even if this year goes bad I'm sure there would still be interest in me after this year.

"Maybe if next year is not great either, then maybe some people will start to forget.

"That said, the people that understand the sport, pretty much all the big people in the sport, I'm sure they know a good driver when they see one.

"I proved that last year and that will at least carry me through for a few years and then by that stage I'm sure we'll have a competitive machine again."