Saints inflict more woe on Cherries

Date published: November 30 2015 - Editor

Southampton extended their unbeaten run in the Premier League to five matches with a 2-0 win over south-coast rivals Bournemouth at St Mary's on Sunday.

  • Southampton 2 Bournemouth 0
  • Mane misses early chance
  • Davis gives Saints the lead
  • Pelle adds another before half-time
  • Wanyama sent off late on

Match Summary

First-half goals from Steven Davis and Graziano Pelle put the Saints in the driving and they seemed happy to defend their lead after the interval as the Cherries were more dominant in the second half.

The dismissal of Victor Wanyama in the closing stages for two bookable offences took some gloss off their fourth win of the season, which lifted Ronald Koeman's side up to seventh in the standings, while the Dorset outfit suffered their third straight defeat to remain perched just above the relegation zone in 1th place.

Full Report

The hosts were on the front foot from the opening stages and Sadio Mane should have broken the deadlock on the quarter-hour mark when Pelle touched Ryan Bertrand's cross into his path, but the winger sent his shot into the ground and over the crossbar.

They continued to boss proceedings without carving out any real openings until just after the half-hour mark, when they took the lead through Davis.

The midfielder was left with a simple finish after Pelle had released Bertrand down the left to cross for Davis to score from close range.

Five minutes later the Saints were two goals to the good, this time Dusan Tadic whipping the ball in the left after he had shaken his marker to make space for a cross, which was steered home with a towering header from Pelle.

The same combination almost delivered a third goal three minutes later, but Pelle was unable to guide his header on target, while at the other end the visitors finished the half strongly as Glenn Murray had a shot blocked and Dan Gosling headed wide on the rebound.

The home team eased off considerably in the second half, which allowed Eddie Howe's men to take a small measure of control, although they rarely troubled Saints goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg.

Junior Stanislas went close with a free-kick that flashed fractionally wide of the post before Wanyama went into the referee's notebook for a second time on 78 minutes, culminating in his sending-off and giving the Cherries a glimmer of hope.

Lee Tomlin and Joshua King tried their best to rescue something from the contest at the death, with the pair both getting shots off with the space of a minute, but Stekelenburg stood firm as the 10-man Saints took home the three points.