Sauber to race year-old Ferrari engines in 2017

Date published: October 9 2016

Sauber will stick with Ferrari power in 2017, however, team boss Monisha Kaltenborn has confirmed that they will run year-old engines.

As Formula 1 embraces a host of new technical regulations, Kaltenborn says Sauber’s decision to run 2016 Ferrari engines is based on a need to focus on “chassis development.”

Earlier this season the Swiss team was sold to Longbow Finance, although that cash injection has yet to yield a single World Championship point.

Explaining the decision to run old Ferrari engines, Kaltenborn told Reuters: “We will be using the latest specification of the 2016 Ferrari engine in 2017.

“We took this decision a while ago… at a time where actually the rules for next year were not 100 percent clear.

“We took a strategic decision that we want to focus the resources we have on chassis development and performance development, and in a way leave the engine side to the areas we know.”