Stroll: ‘Time to get over it and move on’

Date published: April 19 2017

Williams rookie Lance Stroll has said he will not dwell on the incidents that have led to him not being able to complete a race so far this season.

The Canadian has had a DNF in each of his first three races in Formula 1, with Fernando Alonso the only other driver who has yet to complete a full race distance.

But while Stroll is annoyed by the bad luck, he cannot afford to let it get to him and affect his future performances.

"It is frustrating, but I don't have a choice – I have to get over it," said Stroll at the Bahrain test.

"There is nothing I can do. We just have to stay focused and the tables will turn.

"[F1] is 90 percent mental. And if you are not mentally able to get over things, then you are in the wrong sport. It would be pretty ridiculous if I would be giving up right now after three races in F1."

Stroll then continued to brush off his start to the season as "just one of those things".

"It has just been unlucky," he concluded.

"Brake failure in Australia, there was nothing I could do about that. China was just one of those things that happens in racing and Bahrain was very unlucky. It is as simple as that.

"But we cannot dwell on that – we cannot look at it in a negative way. We need to look on the bright side.

"There have been a lot of positives to take out of the first couple of races and there have been things to improve on, and we know we are improving every race.

"We need to keep going. It is still a really long season ahead: we haven't got to Europe yet which will be a lot easier for myself as it is tracks I've raced on in the past.

"But I am focused race by race, frustrated by what happened on Sunday but I cannot dwell on it, I need to get over it and move on."