Susie Wolff defends Ecclestone

Date published: April 21 2016

Susie Wolff has defended Bernie Ecclestone after the F1 supremo came in for some stick over his recent thoughts on women racing in F1.

Ecclestone has often voiced his opinion on the possibility of a female driver making it into today’s sport and there was more of the same earlier this week.

“I don’t know whether a woman would physically be able to drive an F1 car quickly and they wouldn’t be taken seriously,” he said during Advertising Week Europe.

But while that remark was widely reportedly, his later comments about wanting to see a woman competing with the best in F1 was not.

He added: “Today I would love and I would help to get a lady in a Formula One car.”

So much so that Ecclestone says he would be willing to help sponsor an all-female team.

“I’d put another $20 million in to make sure it happened,” he said.

So it is no wonder that former driver Wolff, who runs the Dare to be Different initiative, has spoken out in support of the 85-year-old.

“After hearing Bernie’s comments in context and speaking to him today, it’s clear we both have the goal of getting a female driver to F1,” she tweeted.

“Through my years in motorsport, he was supportive of my mission to make it onto the starting grid in F1.

“Last week, he agreed to come onboard with D2BDofficial and support the next generation of girls aiming for the top, on and off the track.

“For me, actions always speak louder than words. D2BDofficial is about driving female talent and Bernie is with us.”