Having lost his Caterham race-seat, Giedo van der Garde is heading to Sauber as the team’s official reserve driver.
The 28-year-old Dutchman, who failed to score a point in his debut season last year, will drive during “some” Friday sessions as well as taking part in “several” tests for the team.
“I consider this an important step in my career,” van der Garde said.
“It is my goal to help the team with the development of the new car. But, of course, I am a racing driver, and I want to show the team and everybody else what I am capable of and that I deserve a race seat with the Sauber F1 Team in 2015. After all, my ambition remains unchanged and I am highly motivated to succeed in Formula One, especially in the long term.
“I am very thankful to Caterham that they gave me a chance to get a taste of Formula 1. I enjoyed a fantastic season with the team and I have learned a lot. The experience gained will surely help me during the rest of my career.”
“For now, I am really very excited to have signed a contract with the Sauber F1 Team. For every driver it is a dream to work for a well-established team such as Sauber. In recent years it has shown impressive results. I am really grateful for this opportunity and I will certainly do my upmost to succeed.”
Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn welcomed van der Garde’s signing, confident the Dutchman’s previously experience will help push the team forward.
“We are happy to have Giedo van der Garde on board. He has four years experience in GP2 and he drove one year in Formula One,” she said. “These are good credentials to work successfully with our team.
“Many times Giedo has shown his talent as a race driver. At the same time the team would like to support him to further develop his skills. Giedo has the right attitude to take the next step forward.”