At the lunch break on Day 2 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, Spanish Grand Prix winner Max Verstappen got the fastest lap of the session.
McLaren-Honda points scorer Stoffel Vandoorne followed closely in second place behind the Dutchman while Mercedes test driver Pascal Wehrlein was well off the pace.
Mercedes, though, called up Wehrlein late when they decided to go with an experienced driver to test out their new parts rather than Esteban Ocon.
Towards the end of the session there was a slight bit of drama as Manor driver Jordan King went off on Turn 7, which resulted in the session being halted as he brought some gravel with him on the track.
1. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:23.267 44 Laps
2. Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 0.739 36 Laps
3. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso 1.470 55 Laps
4. Kevin Magnussen Renault 1.866 44 Laps
5. Pascal Wehrlein Mercedes 1.899 51 Laps
6. Esteban Gutierrez Haas 3.135 31 Laps
7. Antonio Fuoco Ferrari 3.136 39 Laps
8. Alfonso Celis Force India 3.586 30 Laps
9. Felipe Massa Williams 3.900 52 Laps
10. Jordan King Manor 4.348 41 Laps