Wait goes on at McLaren

Date published: November 25 2014

The wait continues for Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen as Ron Dennis insists that McLaren are yet to decide on their line-up.

With two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso set to return to Woking next year, Button and Magnussen’s futures are unclear as one of them will have to make way for the Spaniard.

McLaren confirmed last week that they will only make an announcement after December 1, but Group CEO Dennis held lengthy discussions with Button after the season-finale Abu Dhabi GP.

Dennis, though, says a decision will only be made at the Group’s shareholders meeting in early December.

“That’s where it will be discussed,” he told Press Association Sport. “I’ve not made up my mind yet, but it’s not mine (a decision) alone, and anyway, it wouldn’t be appropriate.

“Any decision has to be supported by the shareholders and the board.

“It’s pretty understandable we’re looking at two people, and there’s a broader choice than Kevin and Jenson, but nevertheless whatever the decision, it won’t be taken until then (the board meeting).”

Asked as to the difficulties behind the decision, he added: “It depends where you look at the whole thing from because you can make arguments in all directions.

“But given the amount of work we are doing at the moment with Honda, and all the various financial partners etcetera, we should have said much earlier on ‘our drivers are contracted to the end of this year and we will take an appropriate decision at the right time’.”