Webber: Alonso asked me to do Indy 500

Date published: May 7 2017

Mark Webber has said that Fernando Alonso asked him to do the Indianapolis 500 this year, but has no interest in oval racing.

The Aussie, a two-time winner of the Monaco Grand Prix, has attempted a second leg of the Triple Crown with multiple Le Mans appearances.

However, he has revealed that it was never his intention to win that race with the view of going on to the Indy 500.

I wasn't overly interested to go there," Webber told Crash.net.
 
"I have absolute respect, my heroes like Rick Mears and Mario and Al Unser, these guys, Roger Penske, Dario's a good friend of mine, Scott Dixon, Will Power.
 
"I have maximum respect for those guys but it's something I didn't want, I never really wanted to go and see.
 
"I think I would do well in oval racing. Rocky, who was Sebastian Vettel's engineer at Red Bull, he said 'you would go really well on ovals'. He did a lot of work with Sebastien Bourdais at Newman/Haas, and he said 'look Mark, you would be perfect for ovals'.

"I said 'thanks, but I'm probably not going to try'."

 
Webber then said that Alonso had asked him to participate earlier on in the season.
 
"Fernando still asked me to maybe try to do Indy, in Bahrain, yeah.
 
"Really hats off to him to give it a go, born out of the frustration of his current situation clearly in Formula 1.

"He would not be doing it if he was winning races in F1, we know that. Never a driver has had so much press with no results in F1 this year.

"This year it's been a disaster campaign for him. I just wish him all the best and hope he has a good run over there, and let's see."